Registration and traceability
In 1996 the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) awarded Capita Customer Solutions the contract to provide the ‘National Bovine Registration and Passport Issuing Service’ and we remain the provider to this day. We validate and the register the birth of every bovine animal born in the state and produce a passport identity card for each successful application.
Our service guarantees the integrity of the national herd and is at the core of the traceability that is essential to the quality and provenance of all beef and dairy produced in Ireland - an industry that is worth €10 billion per annum to the Irish economy. Today, we:
- Register 2,300,000 calves annually
- Issue passports within two days of registration
- Provide help-desk facilities for herd-owners
- Record all farm-to-farm movements in Ireland
- Record all on-farm deaths
In 2002, on the back of our success in the bovine sector, DAFM contracted us to manage the movement of pigs in Ireland through a dual notification arrangement whereby both seller and buyer notify us of the movement.
In 2013 we diversified in to the UK’s agriculture sector when the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) chose us as their preferred supplier for the delivery of a movement reporting service for all sheep, goats and deer within England. We run the contract from our Northampton office providing a registration facility, an in-house developed technology solution and a bureau service. Our technology offering includes a central platform for the reporting, amending and recording of animal movements with interfaces to all related databases across Great Britain, an informational website and a variety of reporting portals for external stakeholder access.
Our registration and traceability services, all of which meet national and EU requirements and are ISO 9001:2008 certified by the National Standards Authority of Ireland, possess the following functionality and capabilities:
- Multi-species animal registration and traceability databases
- Recording of births, all movements, exports, imports and deaths
- In-house developed portals for online stakeholder transactions
- Supporting back office and bureau services
- A passport and correspondence printing facility
- Secure document storage and destruction services